These Zuppa Toscana are Tastier than the Olive Garden equivalent but healthy too! Dairy free and clean eating-friendly. Try it now!
- 2 tbsp. organic beef tallow or ghee
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (Use my favorite garlic press to speed things up!)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper, or more to taste if you’re brave!
- 6 c. chicken broth (homemade, or try this organic free range, lower sodium chicken broth)
- 7 medium red potatoes (about 2.5-3 lbs.), coarsely chopped (and unpeeled, if you choose! 🙂 )
- 5 oz. fresh kale, chopped. Frozen works fine, too.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 13.5 oz. can full fat coconut milk (My recipe originally called for only 8 oz. of coconut milk. I changed it to the full 13.5 oz. can because it is creamier this way! It does give it the very slightest hint of coconut. If you want to avoid the hint of coconut, lower it to 8 oz.)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot or Dutch Oven, melt the beef tallow. Read my update above on how to get healthy, organic kitchen staples online at reasonable prices.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until browned.
- Add the onion, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes.
- Bring your soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and coconut milk and simmer an additional 5 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork and kale is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.