Dinner made easy with this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff made with a combination of juicy portobellos and button mushrooms for a creamy and tart pasta.
- 8 ounces vegan ribbon or fusilli pasta
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushroom, sliced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, destemmed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan sour cream, store bought or homemade
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and strain out the water with a colander. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until juices are released and onions and mushrooms are slightly browned. Transfer to a bowl and return skillet to heat.
- Cut portobello into 1/4" thick slices. Add to the prepared skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes. Mix together 1 cup of vegetable broth, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Add to portobellos. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes until portobellos have reduced about 25% in size.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth with 3 tablespoons of flour. Mix until all the flour is dissolved. Add to the portobellos along with the onion/mushroom mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in vegan sour cream and heat until warm. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Toss with prepared pasta and serve immediately with fresh parsley.